2021 UTAH DESIGN CRAFT ARTIST COMPETITION: WATERWAYS
11/13/2021: Entries Due
11/20/2021: Exhibition Opens
12/16/2021: Awards Ceremony
1/8/2022: Exhibition Closes
This year’s theme, “Waterways,” is meant to reflect the aims of “Think Water Utah”, a statewide collaboration and conversation on the critical topic of water presented by Utah Humanities and its partners. The primary concept for this competition is drawn from “Utah WaterWays” an essay by Gregory E. Smoak: “Water is life. It forms our world and our lives. It allows us to travel and blocks our paths. It determines where we live and work and what we eat and drink. It is an essential natural resource that people struggle to access and control. Water shapes human culture — our ways of life."
Congratulations to the 2021 Utah Design and Craft Artist Competition award winners!
First Place: Clouds Rain and Earth by Kevin Schley
Second Place: Abundance by Dana Worley
Third Place: Pond Pals by Rosanna Lynne Welter
Merit Awards: Stillness Cloisonné Enamel Necklace by Marianne Goodell, Dinnerware for a Bad Cook by Steve Hansen and Lower Calf Creek Falls by Susan Jelus.
RSVP by phone at 435-226-1439, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Facebook messenger.
The ceremony will be simultaneously broadcast via Facebook Live at facebook.com/brighamcitymuseum.
Entry Fee is $35, payable upon submission of entry. Up to three works can be submitted.
Entry deadline is 5:00 PM on Saturday, November 13, 2021
Awards Ceremony Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 6:00 PM
Artwork must be made of the following medium:
- Or any mix of these media
All submissions must be:
- Created between 1/1/2020 and 11/13/2021
- Cannot exceed 40 in wide by 40 in long by 70 in high. We are unable to hang works from the ceiling.
- For stand-alone works: Ready to exhibit with accompanying hardware/materials required to display your works.
- For Hanged Works: Ready to hang with strong hanging wire attached with D or O rings (or similar). Use of claw hangers will lead to an automatic disqualification.
- Accompanied with high-resolution photos for marketing and publicity efforts, sent via Google Drive, Dropbox, or other large file sharing portal. We also accept USB thumb drives, if that is easier for you.
- Include artist statement, list medium and materials used, not to exceed 280 characters.
Click here to complete the entry form. Please bring the completed entry form with your entries.